Snowbound
February 23, 2015, 6:32 AM
Filed under: Pennsylvania | Tags: , , ,
January: Gem Way

January: Gem Way

The world stops when it snows, and with it, I nest. I have felt low, trying to figure out where my art is going and what, in general, to do next. And I recently received heartbreaking news about a dear old friend, which I’m trying to process. I’m being vague, but it’s something I don’t want to go into detail right now (to protect her privacy as well as my heart). In short: I’ve been in hiding.

Gem Way to Penn Avenue

Gem Way to Penn Avenue

I remind myself that it’s okay to take these small breaks from life and tune out for a while. One of my biggest dreams is for one solid week of peace without distraction. It’s funny how years ago, I wanted bigger and bigger things, and as I grow older, my desires become much less complicated.

snow days

snow days

We’re in the thick of a deep-freeze which has made it difficult and uninspiring to go on long adventures, so instead, I wake early and bundle up, tucking my pajamas into boots, and trek out back through Gem Way, circling around to Penn. Morning snow crunches underfoot, the occasional car drives past, reminding me I’m still in the city. It feels as if I’m the only one awake on this well-traveled road, snow falling, camera clicking. I realize I don’t have to go far to get what I want.

fences

fences

wonderland

wonderland

when the world stops

when the world stops

Love these photos, how they capture winter’s beauty and power. Am reminded of a letter DH Lawrence wrote to Catherine Carswell in 1916: “I think you have been exhausting yourself, making onslaughts on yourself, for a long time now. I hope you will give yourself peace now. One has to withdraw into a very real solitude, and lie low there, hidden, to recover. Then the world gradually ceases to exist, and a new world is discovered, where there are as yet no people.”

Comment by mww1818

thanks, michael. i will carry this with me throughout the next few days and when we’re on the road again (nice to see you here!).

Pleased to have found your blog. Looking forward to more reading here. Regards from Thom at the immortal jukebox.

Comment by Thom Hickey

thank you so much! i’ve been a little quiet here this month, but i’ll be posting more as spring kicks in (thanks for following!).

Liked by 1 person

Look forward to those posts. Hope you will enjoy a tour round the Jukebox. Thom

Comment by Thom Hickey

As per usual your words really have me thinking. The beautiful contrasting melancholy of discovering where you belong. I hope your friend is doing alright.

thanks for your support and kind words. i am trying to pull out of this down mood. slowly, slowly. blogging this morning helped me to get lost for a few moments (winter is tough on the psyche.

I get sad too about leaving Bloomfield.

Comment by Bill

I don’t like to think about you leaving either. The thoughts of leaving Garfield breaks my heart too, it does. Will see what we can get when we go house-hunting. Change can be good.

Liked by 1 person

I love this, and I love our weird little neighborhood!

thanks, monster! and when i think of leaving our neighborhood, i get too sad – i want to stay!