Lincoln Highway
October 15, 2014, 7:10 AM
Filed under: Pennsylvania | Tags: , , ,
A remnant of Fairyland Forest, Laurel Highlands.

Little Boy Blue: A remnant of Storyland, Laurel Highlands.

When Jeff and I stared dating nine years ago, our first road trip together was Route 30, Pennsylvania’s old Lincoln Highway, destination: Mutter Museum. I mapped out the places I wanted to see along the way, but more importantly, this travelers’ road crazy-twisting through mountains provided relief from the PA Turnpike. Speeding highway travel puts my nerves on edge, and finally, I found a man who was willing to travel the roads less wandered with me (metaphor intended). A few weeks ago, driving back from a visit with friends East, we climbed intense mountain passes, and felt the isolation in those forgotten towns nestled in the hills. It was a bright, clear, sunny day, so pretty it made hearts ache. We imagined Model T-s struggling up those hills in the route’s early days, all the stops it took just get a few miles – clever roadside attractions that gave travelers some escape: hotels that looked liked ships, fairytale creatures hidden among the trees in someone’s yard, with signs made clear no trespassing.

Antique store in a barn near Gettysburg.

Antique store in a barn near Gettysburg.

TV in Fayetteville, PA

TV in Fayetteville, PA

Bedford, PA

Bedford, PA

Garden near the Laurel Manor motel.

Garden near the Laurel Manor motel.

Those mountain roads were rough this time around. But the drive was really pretty, one of my favorite roads.

It always has a place in my heart.

I live right off a stretch of the LH, although when it was originally charted I imagine it looked nothing like it does today. At least I hope so. 😉

Comment by John

that’s awesome! i know what you mean – I love looking at old photos of it stretching across the state, and wonder how the hell they made it through!

Holy Crap, I remember your trip to the Mutter. I still have not gone.

Comment by Bill

doesn’t it seem like yesterday? that was almost a decade ago! dude, you gotta get to the Mutter, it’s worth the drive.

I have always wanted to see how far and just where route 30 would take me. I have only traveled a small portion of it. There is lots of kitsch to be had, that is certain. So happy that you and your monster share these journeys with all of us.

I forgot how difficult the mountain pass is (between Bedford and past Breezewood), but once you get into PA Dutch Country, it’s a land of country and kitsch wonder. I’d love to someday travel the Lincoln Highway going west.