On the Road
July 20, 2014, 5:49 PM
Filed under: New York | Tags: , , , ,
Motel DeSoto, Olean, NY

Motel DeSoto, Olean, NY

I love mid-week road trips. You get that tiny thrill of playing hooky from your life while everyone else is at work, going through the usual routine. It’s like flipping everything upside down for 48 hours. It also means there is nobody around, which makes photo adventures all the better: few interruptions from curious onlookers, less traffic. Wednesday becomes more like Sunday with everything open. Jeff is from Allegany, a tiny town in western New York. We went to visit with his sister and her family.  I’m fascinated how isolated Allegany is from everywhere else: “everywhere” meaning Buffalo or Pittsburgh, the two closest “big”  cities. How did he learn about punk rock? Where did he see art house flicks and go to basement shows? These were the things that a river-town kid like me agonized over if I had to grow up far away from city life. I’ve spent the last few weeks working on photo projects, working day-job OT, and exploring the back roads around us. It’s my birthday month, and I’m celebrating all I love about July through my lens.

Olean, NY

Olean, NY

Olean, NY

Olean, NY

Us.

Us

Olean, NY

Olean, NY

Somewhere along PA 66.

Somewhere along PA 66.

the open road.

the open road.

These are all lovely, Lisa. I especially like the playful second one.

Comment by John

thanks, john! it was such a beautiful morning too, it made me want to dance (and so I did).

It’s always strange to go back because it feels different, but a lot is the same. The motel is never changing though!

Comment by jschreckengost

I feel lucky that each time we’ve gone back, there is something else to see – love this place.

The motel De Soto is fabulous: I love the grass growing through the cement and the pool. When you and Jeff take these road trips, its as if we can take them too and its great. Happy Birthday and thanks for your creative efforts.

I’m glad that our travels can be your travels too, in some ways. Each time we’ve been back to Olean, the motel has not changed – not one bit! Someone takes care of that pool, which is kind of strange and lovely too. I’ll be heartbroken if we go back and it’s gone.

Very nice post and photos. Thank you!

Comment by 100mijs

thank you! and thanks for stopping by 🙂

Seems like the places you visit are hanging in a limbo. Timeless places. Nobody around, no cars. Anywhere, at any point in time. Great.

Comment by Chiara

Thanks, Chiara! It helps to take the back roads, and having patience for the places nobody seems to want to see (it also helps to get up early in the morning and make sure nobody is around! ;)).

“How did he learn about punk rock? Where did he see art house flicks and go to basement shows? These were the things that a river-town kid like me agonized over if I had to grow up far away from city life.” I love all those words and the imagery it conjures. Gorgeous.

thanks, lady! you know what i mean too, fellow river-child. i marvel at what we all were able to discover pre-Internet – and now I spend most of my time trying to get back to those moments so I can share them on the Internet. This digital age we live in!