Salvage
A house in the Strip District that I pass on my daily work commute.

Row houses in the Strip District that I pass on my daily work commute.

Photography is magic: I love how one shot can make an ordinary scene look spooky, or unusual, putting it to the forefront of people’s minds. Like the house in the above shot: I pass it every day on my way to work, thinking each time: I have to stop and take a photo, and one rainy April morning I did. It’s actually the back of three row houses, with an empty lot in front of it, most likely the previous site of another building. It intrigued me because the Strip District in Pittsburgh is primarily a neighborhood stacked with warehouses; I imagine these row houses were once occupied by people who worked in one of those businesses – now occupied by who knows? This was my first shot in the film pack, and I got excited, taking it as a kiss of luck, but the shots that followed turned out completely blank, and I was pissed, thinking of the plans I had for this film, and how sometimes, I am a messy, careless photographer – I get too far ahead of myself. I transferred the pack to my SLR680, and let the camera sit for a few weeks, knowing at some point I had to use yup the film. And after a long week at my day job – a hot, muggy, anxiety-ridden day where I wasn’t feeling too creative – I used some old standbys to pull me through.

Test shot, hand-held.

Test shot, hand-held.

Out of focus: An old mirror that Jeff found in the trash with an old bed sheet for a backdrop.

Close-up in mirror: Note my knee to the right in the background.

Close-up in mirror: Elbows resting on floor serves as tripod – resourcefulness.

Agreed, photography IS magic! Love the last three, Lisa.

thanks,katherine! it is – i’ll always remember my first time in the darkroom, developing film and the negatives came out – even though they weren’t perfect, i was still amazed that they came out and could be prints.

Me too. I had to teach dark room techniques to final year high school art students without having done any since high school (it was many years later). I did a short course and developed my own negatives for the first time. It was really thrilling to work through the process allt he way to the final prints, which as with yours, were not perfect, but I still have quite a few of them.

That’s wonderful that you taught photography! Then you know well that “magic” – I could spend hours in the dark room, losing time.

I love the row houses photo! spooky but cool

Comment by anonymom

thanks! they are less creepy in person, so you can imagine how happy i was when i saw this pop out of the camera ;).

These photos look like they could have been taken 60 years ago. I feel Woodman in these.

nice compliment indeed, thanks, lady! i don’t shoot black and white often, and when i do, i think, why don’t i do this more often?