Kat in the Rain and Other Stories
May 21, 2014, 8:28 PM
Filed under: Art Gallery | Tags: , , , ,
Buttercup Way, Day One

Buttercup Way, Day One

It’s Polaroid Week and the instant film community is abuzz with analog excitement. This year I had a few photos saved to share, but Saturday Jeff and I took a drive across the Allegheny and to the North Side of Pittsburgh, in the Manchester neighborhood, so I could capture some stories around the Hipwell Manufacturing Company. Hipwell, makers of oil lamp parts and Hipco flashlights, opened their doors in 1887, and operated until 2001. It now houses some offices and most recently as Chloe Sevigny’s apartment building  in the now-defunct series “Those Who Kill.” Day two photos were taken in Braddock, on an eerily quiet, cool Sunday morning in April and last week, my friend Katlin and I ducked out of work for a walk in the rain – me, balancing an umbrella between shoulder and chin to shield the camera, and Kat, fearless in the downpour, laughing.

Hipwell Manufacturing Co., Day One

Hipwell Manufacturing Co., Day One

Hotel Puhala, Day 2

Hotel Puhala, Day Two

Kat in the Rain, Day Two

Kat in the Rain, Day Two

Well aren’t these photos fascinating. I love it when you visit abandoned places, places which were important at some time but have fallen into entropy. The Hotel Puhala is fabulous, right on the streetcorner! The polaroids are perfect for these memories. thanks for sharing.

Those are lovely! I used to go on Polaroid-taking jaunts around the ‘burgh myself. And I used to play in the Hotel Puhala as a kid – it had belonged to my best friend’s grandparents!

Comment by Donna Bartl

thanks, donna! i love that you used to walk around pittsburgh taking polas. did you save them? and it’s amazing that you played at the hotel puhala! i’m so curious about what it looks like inside – an artist recently painted the colors out front, which drew my attention to the building.

Happy Polaroid Week! Your photos are brilliant as always! And you manage to find the best spots. How do you do it?

Comment by naimavanswol

thanks, naima! it’s almost over, and i’m glad only because i need to concentrate on the rest of the world around me (hehe!). let me know if you want me to know any good places to take photos, or just to look around. i love finding hidden gems in this city – i often make jeff stop the car so i can get out and look around.

I love Kat’s fearless pose!

Isn’t it wonderful? It was really raining then too – we were pretty soaked when we got back to the office. This is why I love photography – it makes you feel like a kid sometimes!

Such a cool building, especially the devil ghost sign!

don’t give away the sign yet!

What a wonderful evocative series, Lisa. Really like them!

thanks, katherine! definitely if you get a chance, check out the Polaroid Week link in my post – people are doing some amazing, amazing work with instant film (as a lover of analog photography, I thought you might be interested :). I have a few more to post from this building too – it’s a really beautiful place.

Will take a look soon. Sounds wonderful!