Cityscapes in the Rain
April 30, 2014, 7:01 PM
Filed under: Pennsylvania | Tags: , , ,
morning commute

morning commute

Pittsburgh has its rain – lots of it. Supposedly on average, only 59 sunny days annually. When it’s sunny for a few days straight, Pittsburghers are suspicious, as if an unknown force planted us all in another city. We don’t know how to handle the intense light reflecting off warehouse windows, lightly toasting our faces, bleaching the pavement beneath our feet; those few days of sunshine respite teach us to enjoy the moment, the little things. When the storms return, I breathe easy, like returning home from a long vacation worlds away from what I know.

storm sky

storm sky

this is spring in the steel city

this is spring in the steel city

blue cadillac

blue cadillac

the red umbrella

the red umbrella

after the storm

after the storm

Shoefiti!

Comment by angelinahue

yes! always have a soft spot for them when i see them.

Great photos, the comment about them looking like paintings is accurate and what I also see is your subtle humour creeping in and your umbrella motif– –perfect for rainy Pittsburgh. I am still smiling over Storm Sky. thanks for sharing.

ah, i’m glad my humor comes through in my work sometimes – it’s a huge part of how jeff and i communicate (we are both pretty silly). i can thank my mother for that gift. thanks for stopping by!

Love this post Lisa. What a perfect set of images 🙂 sunshine is wonderful but we do need the damp & stormy days to help us appreciate it 🙂

Comment by Meredith

thanks, meredith! it’s true – and i’m partial to the rain because it intensifies all the beautiful colors around us.

Blue Cadillac is my favorite. Like a 1970s painting from a department store. It is perfection. It captures that era stunningly well.

ah, thanks, lady – if i’ve captured the 70s 40 years later, then i feel as if my work is done – makes me happy to hear!

The rainy day photo are my favorite, too!

Comment by Bill

thanks dude! and thanks, always, for stopping the car for me to take pictures – proof that there really is beauty in the ordinary (like traffic stops and lunch-work walks).

Love your rainy days… (…smiling…)

Comment by karijeppesen

thanks, kari! and lucky for me, there are plenty to capture by camera ; ).

Lovely photos and writing! Living in Seattle I can relate. It’s nice when it’s sunny, but I feel out of my element. I’m always relieved when the rain comes back.

Comment by Joann

thank you joann! i had a friend who lived in seattle for years before coming back home here to pittsburgh, and she mentioned the weather is similar. cloudy/rainy days intensify the colors (for photography), but not so good for instant film (as you probably know!).

Your photos are so gorgeous! I’m talking a digital photography class and I’m not sure what I’m doing, but one thing I’ve learned this semester is if it’s remotely sunny go out and take photos because the weather is probably going to be terrible tomorrow. But, your bad weather photos are magnificent. Where did you take the one of the sneaks on the telephone line?

Comment by naimavanswol

thanks for your sweet words, naima! it’s true about the sunny days – take advantage of them when you can. better yet, when it’s partly cloudy – those give the nicest contrast and pops of color. and between 5-6 pm – the loveliest times of day. the shoes on the phone line are in the strip district, right across from colangelo’s – next time you’re down there, look over and up :).

You’re welcome, Lisa and thanks for the tip. I’m going to pick your brain a little if you don’t mind. My final assignment in my photo class is a panoramic photo and I was wondering if you might suggest a place in or around the city. I tried the West End Overlook, but my photos didn’t turn out. Thanks! 🙂

Comment by naimavanswol

email me: lisatoboz at yahoo.com – i have a few suggestions!

Thanks I will!