Indiana Weekend
November 14, 2013, 7:48 PM
Filed under: Pennsylvania | Tags: , , ,
lost building somewhere in Blairsville

a forgotten building in Blairsville

A few weeks ago we drove out to Indiana County to visit with my friend Angie and her family. We met 17 years ago while working at a gift shop in Station Square, a tourist mall at the foot of Mt. Washington. I was biding time till I got into grad school, and Angie was attending the Sawyer School. We became roommates for the next few years: through a tornado (on one of the steepest hills in the city, yet – seriously!), a few heart breaks, and another crappy roommate who stole some of our stuff before she skipped town, we remained friends, despite being seemingly different. I’ve always admired Angie’s humor, no-nonsense attitude, and her ability to make people feel really at home in her world. I always loved going with her to visit her parents, who also have a gift for making strangers feel like instant friends, and friends like family. I’m thankful for their support and friendship over the years, and to have a place so close to Pittsburgh that feels like a second home.

Smicksburg, Indiana County

Smicksburg, Indiana County

an abandoned junior high school, Blairsville

an abandoned junior high school

the last of the fall leaves, Blairsville

the last of the fall leaves

sunshine and storm, Indiana County

sunshine and storm, Indiana County

Totally enjoyed this post. These towns are surreal in their abandonment and entropy–perfect for the faded ambience and symbols like the VW. Nice that you help to remember what is forgotten.

Thanks, Michael. As long as we have wheels, we’ll be riding on to the next forgotten little town. It makes me happy that people like you can appreciate these places too.

Lisa, these gorgeous photographs linger with me. I like them all and the color wash feels like something you want to walk into. My favorite are the abandoned junior high school, especially the facade with the vines.

Comment by April Bradley

April,

Thank you! I like experimenting with expired film – it tugs at the part of me that wants everything to be “perfect” and this gives me a chance to let go. Instant film also gives me that comforting, nostalgic feeling, just one of the many reasons I love it!

Incredible find of the year that weekend: the typewriter!

I’ll feature that in another post, maybe. It’ll show up a lot of places, I’m sure of it!

Excellent VW bug!

He was a great little find just sitting there in somebody’s field!