Time Travel: 1969-1972
August 18, 2013, 7:45 AM
Filed under: Vintage Photo Album | Tags: , , , , , ,
August 1972

August 1972

We cleaned out our studio this past month: 12 large trash bags and three trips to Goodwill later – we find things. Like a copy of “Nights of Arabian Dentistry” that Jeff found in a thrift store. My tiny black wallet that looks like a toddler-sized handbag. A plastic garden gnome that I did have in the trash pile, but Jeff rescued by popping off the head and keeping it. The books – I could spend hours talking about parting with the books. Once I admitted that I’d never read To Kill a Mockingbird or Wuthering Heights ever again, they went straight into the donation pile. It feels good to get rid of things, and to make solid promises to yourself that you will not accumulate like you have been for years. It made me ask why I carted around dated grammar books year after year, or keep clothes that don’t fit anymore. It made me think too about all the things that my mother held that I now own, things that were very important to her when she was alive, like books, and pretty dresses, and photos – especially the photos. “Things” don’t matter, but sometimes those things keep us happy, inquisitive, curious, and creative.  I like looking through these old friend photos that my mother took during a time in her life when she was clearly happiest. They comfort me since she is no longer here to answer my questions, or tell me her stories.

1972

1972

Erica, 1971

Erica, 1971

my godmother, 1971

my godmother, 1971

Lynn, 1969

Lynn, 1969

Virginia Beach, 1972

Virginia Beach, 1972

amazing beehive, 1971

amazing beehive, 1971

The purging process goes on as we move forward in life and these nostalgic photos point to that. People seemed happier then or maybe that is an illusion. What do we discard then? I’m glad none of these photos were discarded. Thanks for sharing.

I used to think that these were happier times, but I believe now that most things are rosier in hindsight, even if they aren’t our stories. It comforts me to know that the purging process propels us forward in life – it has that feeling anyhow. I like to think of it that way, thanks for sharing that!

I have a box of my mother’s photos – they probably raise more questions that they answer but I will never part with them.

Comment by Debra Broughton

Hi Debra – They do raise more questions than answers – the grief process is helping me to learn that it’s okay to have unanswered questions. I wouldn’t part with my mum’s photos for the world either, they’re so precious to me. Thanks for sharing.

You’re never going to read To Kill a Mockingbird again? But it just gets better as you get older. Donate the book, by all means, then you can buy a new copy when you’re ready to read it again.

Love that first photo, with the Instamatic camera. And that Mars Attacks beehive.

Comment by greg

As an English major, I paid my dues. Now I can read the good stuff! But I have read Mockingbird twice, so I feel good about letting it go. I’d love to find out who owned that beehive though, holy shit it’s amazing!

Beautiful vignette, Lisa!

Comment by misskoral

thank you, that means a lot!

Wow, that beehive is wild! I’m glad you decided to share photos again.

I’m glad too, especially the letters.

Purging and remembering. Both are so necessary. Lovely entry as always. Makes me want to throw more things I cling to away.

Thanks, lady. I know you understand this desire to hang on to the things that may or may not be necessary (most artists/collectors do, I think). Some of my letting go is becoming easier since we decided to not have children. But then I get anxious, thinking of who will end up with these pieces of my history (that’s another blog post!).

…the time machine… Thank you, Lisa!! It is wonderful!!

Comment by karijeppesen

thanks, kari! i feel lucky to have them.