Late Summer
August 11, 2013, 8:53 AM
Filed under: Pennsylvania | Tags: , , , , ,

Pittsburgh on a hot July evening

Pittsburgh on a hot July evening

I don’t want to be one of those people who boasts how “busy” they are just to make themselves sound important. We’re all busy, but my busy-ness, I realize lately, is a self-imposed one, a way for me to push off feeling what I need to wade through: this business of grief. It’s year three, I’m starting to feel “normal” again, and this in itself is confusing. I’ll get to that in another post, but I’ve taken on too much, thinking I can do it all, when I just need to learn to feel the moment, right? Our goal for 2013 was “Get Shit Organized,” and so far, it’s working: a savings plan in place, paying down debt, cleaning up the studio (which has taken over a month. As you can imagine, we had a lot of things to clear out of there to make it workable again). There are setbacks, but hey, I roll with the punches – albeit with loads of anxiety, which makes some days a little precarious to balance. Things that have given me a push: photography, of course. And reading old Nancy Drew books. Oh, and indulging in all seven seasons of Tales from the Crypt, which Jeff hates because he thinks the crypt keeper is really lame. Friends who know me better than anyone. Knowing that when it all comes down to it, it’ll all work out.

standing in the space of "nowhere house"

standing in the space of “nowhere house”

we parked and found this

pittsburgh chair

my first full-length photo shoot in our rearranged studio

a photo shoot in our rearranged studio

experimenting with available light

experimenting with available light

found graffiti on s. windebiddle

found graffiti on s. windebiddle

one last shot in the spectra. i ran out of the house to capture it.

one last shot in the spectra. i ran out of the house to capture it.

I love the dude on the . That photo will be timeless.

Comment by Bill

Opps, how did Buick get deleted. I love that dude on the Buick.

Comment by Bill

Thanks, dude! Usually I’m shy about getting a stranger’s photo, but when the opp arises, I take it.

You’re doing a great job this summer. I’m proud of the projects we’ve been working on. The studio looks amazing!

The studio does look amazing, thanks to most of your hard work. I walk around now and can’t believe the difference!

Love these photos Lisa. The grief process has been incredible and I have nothing but admiration for your journey–many thanks for sharing, its helpful I’m sure to all of us. The graffiti photos is very funny and the spectra shot is fabulous–what a guy! Love nowhere house too. Great, made my day.

Your comments always make me smile, Michael, thank you! And your patience through my grief process is much appreciated. I am working on living life without her here with us – it’s now become the “norm” that she is gone; our relationship is different. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts, it means a lot.

It happens to me every year…I have that sudden realization: “Summer’s almost over, and I still haven’t…something.” When I was young, it made me frantic, trying to cram so many summer activities and plans into the remaining few weeks. Now I just remind myself “It’s still summer, and will be for a bit, and then it’ll be autumn and autumn’s pretty fine too.”

I particularly like that photo of the chair.

Comment by greg

Thanks, Greg. I am going to take some “Lisa time” in the fall, especially since it’s the most important day of the year: HALLOWEEN. Gotta rest up for some ghosts and spooky shit! And allow myself some peace of mind.

The eclectic and beautiful choices you make for each blog always amaze me.
Love the “Pittsburgh” chair!

Comment by Keep Everything

Aw, this comment is so nice – it makes me happy to start the day, thank you!
This Pittsburgh Chair is a lot prettier than the usual plastic lawn chair. It would not survive a Pittsburgh winter, that’s for sure.