Camp Ohio
June 24, 2013, 7:52 PM
Filed under: Ohio | Tags: , , ,
in the woods

in the woods

It’s been a little quiet here on the blog because for the past few months, I’ve had continuous sinus issues, which have worsened over the past month. I’m on two weeks worth of antibiotics, Flonase, Mucinex, herbal teas, ACV – I can’t believe I’m not glowing from all the medication. Being sick and trying to slug through the usual routine is challenging, but I feel as if it’s made me braver, more intuitive with photography. Maybe since, for two weeks with laryngitis, I could barely speak and chose images to express myself instead of words. Or because I’ve been so dazed out on all these meds, I didn’t over-think a photo opportunity: I took it. Maybe too, we shouldn’t have gone to camp at the beginning of this month, but I couldn’t resist taking my Polaroid cam to northeastern Ohio, where I knew we’d find a lost world. Holiday Campgrounds is a little city of decked-out trailers and campers, complete with ice cream stand, a general store and pool, and a private lake for fishing. We found a pregnant wolf spider, a house in the woods, a vacant blue motel without a name.

holiday road

holiday road

andover, oh

andover, oh

abandoned motel

abandoned motel

Surprised how well the film turned out after all these years!

Loved the abandoned motel and Tony’s. You never fail to amaze me finding these places–very cool. Take care of yourself, the sinus is a tough one for sure (I have had it too).

Aw, thanks, Michael! Part of how we end up at these places is my nervousness when we do highway driving. But the small roads provide a much better adventure, that’s for sure! Thanks for the get well wish too – I’m starting to feel better.

Where is my camper and swing?

Comment by Kristy

haha! you silly kid – i’ll get it on Polaroid next time we’re up there. the living room is very 80s, which would look great on film!

I do hope you feel much better soon. Blue Motel seems full of stories.

Comment by thevintagetraveler

thanks for the well wishes, lizzie! the motel was pretty amazing – well-kept and for sale too. tempting 😉

Photos on meds = great photo experiments. All these images feel very surreal and perfect for a sleepy camping trip.

thanks! yes, this area feels pretty cut off from everything. i’d like to go back when i’m feeling a little better, so i can actually enjoy that break from the outside world.