River Story
May 9, 2013, 6:22 PM
Filed under: Pennsylvania | Tags: , , , ,
checking messages

checking messages

Sometimes there isn’t a plan: you get in the car, pick a direction and go. We choose west along Route 65, the Ohio River. Past Coraopolis (my hometown), and more company river towns that I’ve never lived in, yet feel as if I know. A derelict American Bridge Company building that I always think about sneaking into and exploring when we pass it, a four-story bowling alley. Green bridges dot the landscape. We stop at Sheetz to scarf down mac and cheese bites and Red-Hot chips, knowing we may regret it later. We continue driving to a Beaver Falls junk store and get lucky, finding a book on hypnotism. I know this route well because we’ve traveled it so many times, but each time I try to see it differently, vowing to take the pictures that I’ve only imagined, but have yet to do. It’s only when we get closer to home, my camera still full of film, that I make Jeff stop under the 31st St. Bridge. The shadows are so strong from the setting sun; I can’t resist the urge to jump out of the car and capture the light before it disappears over the horizon.

Oh, these are amazing. I love love love the 31st bridge. Maybe in a kind of creepy morbid way, because that armored car driver parked his truck down there after he stole all that money and ran off to Florida. I’ve taken some pics down there before, but yours are amazing. You’re so talented!

Comment by naimavanswol

Any time I drive down under the bridge, I think of that car driver too (especially when I was there shooting these photos – yikes). But when the sun sets or rises, the light under that bridge has the most amazing shadows. (and thank you for your compliment, that’s so nice!)

Lovely washed out luminous photos which capture the abandonment of that bygone industrial era. I hope that you eventually do sneak into the American Bridge Company building! I do enjoy it when you and Jeff explore the company river towns. And that book on hypnotism….thanks for sharing.

thanks, michael, that’s so nice. i’ll be posting a photo of the hypnotism book sometime in the near future – the cover is so wild, i think you’re going to love it!

Yay! beautiful photos! I am looking forward to road trips this summer!

Comment by Bill

thanks, dude, and me too! i have a whole list to tackle before end of summmer.

Sometimes the best adventures we end up having are the ones near our house.

it’s true – especially when we’re both too tired to run around ; ).

Another lovely post. Unplanned travels and gorgeous images. These are some of my favorite images of yours.

wow, lady, thank you – that makes my week! it’s a rare moment these days that we get a chance to just up and go – but sometimes we don’t have to go far to find what we’re looking for.

That really is the truth.