The Last of the 779
March 26, 2013, 5:03 PM
Filed under: Art Gallery | Tags: , , , , ,

So this is it: my last pack of original Polaroid film for the SLR680. I purchased it from my friend Juli, vowing to use it for a special occasion. But when I realized that special occasion wasn’t happening any time soon, I had to use it up before it faded to nothing. The detail is pretty good, but I wasn’t happy with the almost-pastel color quality. I like my colors bold, saturated and slightly off-kilter to real life. Here’s the other thing I do a lot when photo-venturing: I get these ideas that a place I’ve been to once in my life looks a certain way, and when I go back to it, it’s nothing like I remembered it. We originally set out to Oakmont to take photos at a park near the Hulton Bridge; but as we weaved in and out of dead-end streets and cul-de-sacs, I gave up and settled on these trees along the Allegheny River, next to a water treatment plant. I set up my tripod near the entrance gate, positive the guy heading into work thought I was a total weirdo taking pictures by winter-dead trees. That’s the beautiful fiction of photography – you usually only get a slice of the story. The rest you’ll never know unless we tell you.

Beautiful! I just love Pittsburgh.

Comment by naimavanswol

thank you – i love my city too – even more as i get older and grow along with it.

These photos are perfect end-of-winter and not quite spring yet: faded, washed out. But with a quiet beauty and stillness. I am delighted the photos were taken beside a water treatment plant and nice to see your umbrella again. Thanks for sharing and Happy Easter (although Easter never seems that happy).

thanks, michael – these were taken back in january, believe it or not. it was much nicer that weekend than it has been all march! happy easter to you (and i feel the same way about easter, especially since the easter bunny is super-creepy. yikes!).

I’m glad we can be weirdos together.

Comment by jeff

me too (iguana – hehe).

The pastels in the first pic and the flash at the bottom left, really appeals to me. I am glad you are a weirdo, by your own admission (?) and confirmed by your friend Greg. We need more weirdos like you, keeping us on our toes and thinking a bit more about life and perception than we might.

“That’s the beautiful fiction of photography – you usually only get a slice of the story. The rest you’ll never know unless we tell you.” – brilliant, Lisa!

i am a weirdo by own admission (!), and it makes me happy that it comes through in my photography or writing – this blog. and that people appreciate the strange things in life as much as i do : ). thanks for the kind words, it put a spring in my morning to read them.

I wholeheartedly subscribe to what Ms Photobooth Journal says — Well done, Lisa.

Comment by Self-Portrait of the Artist

thanks, that’s so nice! and thanks for stopping by to read too.

But you ARE a total weirdo. It’s part of your charm.

Comment by greg

haha – i know it. the best compliment i’ve gotten all month!

A perfect final reflection. Breathtaking and lovely.

thanks, lady. sometimes i hold onto photos for weeks – months – because i’m not crazy about them. then i realize that they may have been telling me something all along.

they always do. Great work!

: )