January’s Gift
February 17, 2013, 9:18 AM
Filed under: Art Gallery | Tags: , , , ,

January gave us a near-seventy-degree day which gave me a chance to use an expired pack of film that I originally planned to use for our Halloversary photos.October though gave us a few January days, which were too cold to shoot outdoors. I didn’t want to waste film, so I waited. There is a point where I admit that I have to shoot before it goes to shit, so I grab the camera and head to our backyard: a concrete parking slab with the much-talked-about abandoned building to our left (or right, depending which way you look at it). Black and whites remind me of Sunday afternoons with my sister watching Abbot and Costello movies in our pajamas – our mother wanting us to take advantage of sunny days,  but the two of us content to stay indoors focusing on TV static and crackle.

The shot from above is lovely. Your stairs motif is always so effective! The photos amazingly look like B&W tv from the 50’s–great. Thanks for sharing.

aw, thanks, michael – i was very happy with how the first one turned out as well because the film is so unpredictable! the color on these were more black and white when they first came out of the camera, but have turned a more sepia-pink color. looking at these puts me in the mood for spring.

Wonderful atmosphere, Lisa You didn’t mention anyone else being with you, so I guess you did these on a timer? If so, you framed each pic so well! I bought 3 old instamatic cameras at an op-shop recently (used them in a photobooth series) and was given a (presumably) expired roll of film, only it has no expiry date printed on it. It doesn’t look all that old but not having te date suggests it must be. I will never use it, so If you’d like to have a crack at it, I will post it to you.

thanks, katherine! for my shoots, i use a tripod and a timer. the polaroid timer is pretty funny, it sounds like a wind-up toy and while it gives me 12 seconds to jump into the shot, sometimes things aren’t so perfectly timed (like the one where the emulsion is peeled away, i wasn’t ready and the timer expired before i could situate : )).

the instamatic cameras sound awesome. what type of film is the expired one? if it’s 110, i’d love it, but i’m not sure how i’d get it developed since i don’t think anyone develops those any longer – tell me more if you get a chance, i’m curious!

It is great to know about your tricks of the trade, Lisa.

The film I have is a 35 mm, 24 exposure Kodak Max 400 ASA rool. It hasn’t got an expiry date but does have a barcode. I guess it isn’t what you need?

that i can definitely use in my pentax or canon ae! i think it would be a great project to have an expired roll of film sent to me from across the globe and to see what comes out of it. i’ll email you!

Great, Lisa. I’ll hear from you soon.

Love these. Did the one with the brown edge just happen that way?

Comment by thevintagetraveler

thanks, lizzie! yes, the brown-edged one did happen that way – the film peeled when it came out of the camera. that moment was an accident anyhow, as i moved before the timer went off. but i like the dusty rose color of the film.

The upside down mirror one is crazy!

The mirror propped on a brick and tilted towards the sky – that one was definitely luck (and a little help from my trusty assistant :)).

Expired film is always fantastic. You never know what kind of reflections you will get. Nice work.

thanks! i’m learning to go with it – expired film is fun for impromptu moments, but i’m not brave enough to risk for bigger projects (unless that’s what i was going for).