Birthday
February 10, 2013, 11:20 AM
Filed under: Vintage Photo Album | Tags: , , ,
objects she left behind

Happy birthday to my mother, who would have been 62 today. She passed away two years ago on January 31, just shy of her 60th. I planned to post something then, but then I changed my mind, wanting that day to myself – birthdays are happier anniversaries to celebrate. Different stages in my grief process make me attached to certain snapshots of her life, and photos I’ve looked at many times, I’m seeing in new ways. Before I looked for answers; now I am learning to live without them. On the last day of her life she said, “I’m pretty damn happy with how it all turned out.” It’s comforting for me to think about – a quiet end to a complicated life.

portrait in blue

portrait in blue

1972

1972

A very beautiful post and beautiful pictures as well. Belated birthday wishes to your mum! You are reflected in her beauty in “1972”.

Comment by Bill

thanks, billy – that means a lot. it’s exciting to hear that i resemble my mother in ways too.

You always have such a subtle way to say such powerful things. Beautiful.

Comment by motherallie

that’s so kind of you, thank you – your writing is awesome, so it’s nice to see your sweet words.

She’s beautiful 🙂

Comment by sara mae

aw, thank you so much (and thanks for stopping by to read too, that’s so nice!).

You write so honestly and powerfully, Lisa. The still life is very moving, and a lovely composition. Your mum was so beautiful – the colour of her hair was glorious.

i saw your comment yesterday and it made me happy to read – thank you. she was beautiful, and her hair, i always loved it. she had such amazing style.

A very moving post, Lisa. I like the line about learning to live without answers now. Your collage picture with the ring in the middle is wonderful and what a beautiful smile your mother had.

thanks, michael for your lovely comments. the objects in the collage are in different parts of the house (a shelf, jewelry box, table), and seeing them together was comforting to me. i remember the pink clock being around the house when i was growing up, and it feels strange to have it now – almost as if its story is out of context. her smile always stays with me – even through times of pain, she would smile.

Happy birthday, Linda. We’ll celebrate with a plate of “chunk tuna from a can”!

oh wow, this made me crack up! i’m sure mummy is up there looking down on us, wondering why we eat fancy food she can’t pronounce. i’m so grateful to have your humor and love!

Wow. Just wow. Her last words just took my breath away and left me with tears in my eyes. Wow. It makes me wish my mother found that kind of solace. Wow. What a fantastic post. That first Image is amazing.

i’m always nervous before posting stuff about my mother, but once i do, i’m glad i’ve shared – your words give me encourgement (thanks so much for that!). i think about that last day a lot, knowing that i didn’t know it would be her last. did she know it would be? it makes me wonder if people have more of an innate sense of death – or it could just be that at that moment, she was happy.