Notes From a Pittsburgh Winter
February 3, 2013, 9:59 AM
Filed under: Pennsylvania | Tags: , , ,
l. the ghost of my nagyi. r. snowbilly

l. the ghost of my nagyi. r. snowbilly

A lot happens in eight years’ time. Grad school and travel, a marriage and a death. All the ordinary moments in between that you track through the seasons, all the people who have come and gone  – the people who matter most. This is what really stays with me, and how grateful I am that they are still in my life. And photography, – which existed before in my mind, but I was afraid to pick up a camera because the technical aspect of it scared me. Some of it still scares me, but I take photos anyhow because I have too many images in my mind waiting to climb out. Winter is difficult in this city: it’s bitter cold, and we don’t get many sunny days to begin with; toughing it out makes me feel stronger. If I survived an Osijek winter pretty much alone, I can take on my city. Some people love a rural winter landscape but give me a city snowscape any day. The snow softens a building’s hard edges, hides the street scars – the intense overcast sky makes all colors that much brighter.

l. found while running errands. r. found while walking home from work.

l. found while running errands. r. found while walking home from work.

looking up

looking up

through the car window

through the car window

l. allequippa st. r. a stranger's backyard

l. allequippa st. r. a stranger’s backyard

I’m in love with your blog.

Comment by Nicole da Rosa

hi nicole – thank you, that’s so sweet! i’m going to take a look at your travel blog (my favorite kind – it gives me the chance to ‘travel’ when i’m still home).

Beautiful series of images. My favourites are the 4 looking up, perhaps because I have open landscape to my heart’s content but I miss the wintry city.

Comment by Debra Broughton

thanks, debra! don’t get me wrong, i do love a beautiful country winter landscape – but i’m trying to love my city in winter (since it seems to last almost 6 months in this part of the US, i try to make the most of it!).

I love the photo of the old chimney piece, the peeling wallpaper and textures of the bricks. Is it out side? I imagine it to be part of a half demolished house somewhere.

thanks, katherine – the chimney/fireplace is outside, which is why i made my friend stop the car – i had to get a picture. the wallpaper is even more beautiful up close.

fantastic shots, all….winter project that can help stave away the blues and keep you from staying indoors! love

Comment by Becky Colson

Thank the heavens for winter projects, you are totally right – I see this season in a whole new way because of photography, thanks Beck!

It’s great when you go out for a grocery store run and come home with awesome photos.

i know i forgot the chocolate chips to make cookies, but the photos made up for it i hope!

I really like the points of view and of course the photos which encapsulate cityscape winter so well. Its amazing how overcast light brightens. Lovely tranquil prose too–thanks for sharing.

thanks, michael – i love winter light because of this. when i traveled in ireland years ago, i noticed this most when photographing brightly painted houses – i fell in love with overcast skies right then.

I feel every word of this post. Great words and imagery as always. xo

thanks, lady – you know that means a lot to me. xx

oh and your photos always have that Eastern European feel. It is amazing. I don’t know you do it, but your eye is so, something… Sigh worthy.

ooh, that’s so nice – the best compliment! it’s the hungarian in me – seeing romance and melancholy in the fractured things (hehe).