Sunday Afternoon
January 13, 2013, 10:37 AM
Filed under: Art Gallery | Tags: , , , ,
sunday afternoon

sunday afternoon

I’ve mentioned this before, but I keep a photo journal to sketch out concepts or images that pop into my head when I’m doing something else (more like diagrams and text – my drawing talents are nil). What I’ve learned from this process is that the ideas serve mainly as the starting point for a photo shoot – rarely do my first ideas ever come out on film. It’s part of my orderly nature to go in armed with a plan, but the unpredictability of film is teaching me the art of letting go. Last Sunday I went to Sarah‘s, thinking she had a window seat in her new apartment. And that the day was going to be cold, yes, but sunny. And that my timer wouldn’t be a bastard as I hooked it on the camera. None of this was true, and Sarah was patient through the afternoon as I worked with what the day gave me.

It is like a time machine! Amazing photos.

Comment by Bill

thanks, b – one of the many reasons i do so love film.

Which Impossible film are you using?

Comment by usernamejay

Hello! The photos in this post were taken with PX680 color protection – the colors are really lovely, although I’m still trying to find the best settings for indoor natural light.

Oh cool! I always find myself enjoying experimenting with their film.

Comment by usernamejay

Sarah’s apartment must be in a time warp zone- destination:1972

Comment by jeff

I’d say it’s even more traveling back in time – maybe 1910.

I love your aesthetic.

Comment by John

john – thanks for the nice comment!

That is great you keep a photo diary of ideas. A lot of the self photos I do are me working out the “real” ideas for future projects. Keep up the great work. These seemingly candid, surreal images certainly inspire some sort of cinema of something. (Sorry about all the alliteration in that last sentence 🙂

The photo diary seemed like a natural choice for me since I already kept a personal journal. But I write less in the personal journal and fill it more with photo notes – my version of an artist’s sketchbook. I always think of your self-portraits as stand-alone projects, I never realized it is like your version of a sketchbook – which could be a project on its own (seeing it start to finish – I love the process just as much as the finished piece!).

Sometimes it is sketchbook, sometimes it is capturing my emotion, sometimes it is expressing myself where there are no adequate words. I think they all marry each other in intent. Like a deeply personal tapestry that I have woven and thenwant to experience though another set of eyes or person.

“sometimes it is expressing myself when there are no adequate words.” exactly this.