Great Lake
November 25, 2012, 8:49 AM
Filed under: New York | Tags: , , , , ,

dunkirk lighthouse

Sunday morning and I sit here typing with the sniffles. It’s snowing now; I spent most of  yesterday wrapped in blankets, watching old monster movies. There’s something comforting about black and white films: the static in old prints, the grand music. It reminds me of Sunday afternoons as a kid, how isolating they felt if you left the television realm. While organizing my photo files, I remembered the ones taken at Dunkirk Lighthouse from last month’s western New York trip. Dunkirk is a resort town that hasn’t changed much since the early pictures I saw hanging in the lighthouse museum. A map on the wall showed tiny ships crowding the lake’s surface, marking shipwrecks. There are over 300 souls lost in Lake Erie. We searched the lighthouse lawn looking for clues that something once lived there.

lake erie

westfield diner

interstate 80

I love these places seemingly stuck in another time. Had never heard of Dunkirk and now want to visit and see the lighthouse–oh and go to that diner. Thanks for transporting again…

I do too, and I’m so happy when I find them – the perfect argument for taking the back roads home! I was told by another reader that Dunkirk is very close to Lily Dale, town of psychics, which I’ve been meaning to get to – you may see a post come 2013!

If I ever put together a list of Romantic Words & Phrases I think I’d have to include “off-season.” There’s something both romantic and nostalgic about places that have, for one reason or another, become unsynchronized with popularity. Like old lighthouses or small town diners at 10 ‘clock on a Wednesday morning..

Comment by greg

it is romantic to think of getting away when noone else is around – and also, the solitude is really necessary sometimes (particularly for me. i love being alone!).

The last one is my favorite. Who would know it was taken right off the highway?

I wish it hadn’t been so overexposed, but it makes me happy that you love it!