I <3 Buffalo
November 8, 2012, 8:16 PM
Filed under: New York | Tags: , , , , ,

cold, windy sunday

Curious about our northern sister-city, we drove to Buffalo: sprawling, flat land running east-west like a city should (unlike Pittsburgh, land of winding hills and one-way mazes – I still love you). We stayed at the Lord Amherst Motor Hotel in a tiny room that smelled like smoke and Charlie perfume, and Jeff and I got into a little tiff because I forgot the toothpaste and deodorant. What happens when you haphazardly throw the first things you see into a suitcase and bolt out the door after a long work week? Inevitably you forget things and end up at a local Wal-Mart around 1 A.M. in unfamiliar territory, getting a taste of local culture while shopping for Crest. We never got to eat ‘real’ Buffalo-wings, but we did eat sponge candy which Buffalonians claim as theirs: a chocolate confection with an airy middle like Cadbury Crunchies, but fancier and beef on weck: salty roll flecked with caraway seeds, stuffed with tender, rare roast beef and horseradish. I still dream about that sandwich. Like most rust belt towns, it felt like time stopped in the 70s; it rained most of the weekend, the sky so intensely overcast it turned the world around us blue.

prudential guaranty building, 1894

central terminal

church and pearl streets

allentown neighborhood

Love “smelled like smoke and Charlie perfume.” I just watched Vincent Gallo’s Buffalo ’66 yesterday and was thinking about how similar Buffalo must be to PGH. Really nice read.

Comment by motherallie

Thank you for the nice comments :).
I thought a lot about the Gallo movie when we were there – the one scene where he goes to visit his parents looks a lot like Polonia – a working-class historically-Polish neighborhood. The symmetrical houses really stayed with me and I tried to look for them when we were there.

Photos are great, capturing Buffalo nicely. Its a curious place left behind since the 70s but trying to reinvent itself as an architectural haven and artistic hotspot. You show how much of a challenge this will be. And always nice to see you with your umbrella!

thanks, michael! i think that’s what draws me to these towns – they remind me a lot of pittsburgh when i was a kid. i’m always curious too how rust belt towns have survived/evolved since our last recession. i try to be careful and not romanticize them, but living in one most of my life keeps my perspective in check.

I do love those rust-belt William Kennedy cities. “But after awhile you stand up, wipe the frost out of your ear, go someplace to get warm, bum a nickel for coffee, and then start walkin’ toward somewheres else that ain’t near no bridge.”

Comment by greg

Buffalo definitely has that “Ironweed” feel to it as you go through each neighborhood – and the added bonus of having a buffalo as a city mascot, which is pretty f*cking cool.

OOoh Charlie. That takes me back. I love your whole rainy day ensemble as well.

thanks, kimmy – poor charlie has something of a bad rep with its cloying licoricey (sp?) smell. i think they even still make it – check your nearest big lots!

Gotta go back for thrifting and Charlie the Butcher!

we’ll be back in the spring!

Adore “Cold, windy Sunday” pic. It has a lovely resonance of nostalgia for me.

thanks, katherine! i’m glad that the nostalgic feel is coming through in the photo. buffalo has that kind of feel to it for sure.