Letter to My City
April 25, 2012, 6:21 AM
Filed under: Pennsylvania | Tags: , , , ,

I confess: For years I dreamed of ways to leave you. I wrote to pen pals from Yugoslavia, Australia, Malaysia. I watched Manon of the Spring, got really good at conjugating French verbs. I replaced posters of teen idols with maps. I took train rides to New York, searched for opportunities. I waited for rescue. I hated your overcast skies, your old people, your sports teams, your unemployment. I hated your run-down river towns with nothing to do. I traveled around Eastern Europe, trying to find teaching work and family roots, only to return broke and confused. I called myself a writer, but wasn’t writing anything. Defeated, I figured we should make the most of it. I listened to your streets. I walked through personal history. I forgave my ancestors for never leaving this dirty, broken beautiful place. I still don’t know what the hell I’m doing here, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

[from A Conversation project]

Beautifully put.

Comment by thevintagetraveler

thanks, lizzie!

Well you are anything but defeated. I am reminded of Bruce Chatwin’s “What am I doing here?”. I hope you expand on this–powerful stuff, thanks, M

I feel much more contented with Pittsburgh – something like ‘acceptance.’ It’s nice to know that we all come from somewhere. Also checked out the Chatwin book on Amazon, and plan on buying a copy. Thanks for mentioning it!

Reading this while surrounded by boxes and packing my life away to move from the east to the west. When I lived in Pittsburgh I thought it had been a long time, but really only five years, I’ve been in New York for 17 years now and have realized that time grows shorter as we grow older – I want to experience more. I’m not going to LA, Sydney or Singapore, I’m going someplace less exciting, smaller, quieter, cleaner, sleepier and possibly sadder because I still love New York. But, I’ll be living in a house, not an apartment and I’ll have a bedroom for the first time since I left Pittsburgh – there will be an extra room for guests, not just a sofa. Laundry in the house. Most all the things I loved have ended or changed so drastically they no longer make sense to me. As with my departure from PGH, I now leave here with a clear head and a clear plan. On towards Washington. Visit out west I have a room for you.

Comment by Andrew Meissner

I was happy and touched to read your comment – it’s like a poem. You’ve captured really well that feeling of what it’s like growing older, moving on – or as I like to think of it “along.” It’s why I started this blog in the first place – my search for home, whatever that means. I too want the places that are smaller, quieter – I want to tune out the noise and get things done. I want to see the places that few people bother to know.

I feel like no matter what city or place I try out, I’ll somehow end up coming back to Pittsburgh. It sucks you in.

Comment by reconstructingideas

i feel like that too. it’s probably like that with a lot of places, but pittsburgh especially (or maybe that’s because it’s mostly what i know?)

This one really hits home. (no pun intended)

to stay or go? it may not matter, it’ll always be with us.