Trompe L’oeil
March 12, 2012, 6:55 AM
Filed under: Ohio | Tags: , , ,

Yesterday was such a beautiful day that I decided to forgo my usual jammies-and-crime-shows Sunday routine and take off on a photo adventure. Jeff, Bill and I drove through Ohio River towns, ending up in East Liverpool to hunt for more junk that we possibly do not need. But it’s been so long since we looked, I figured why not? I found three great old photos (which you’ll see in future posts), and the awesome score of the last few months: an art deco announcement plaque with overhead lamp from the Roy Powell funeral home. East Liverpool was a ghost town at 4 p.m. on a Sunday March afternoon, but tucked away on the former site of an old theater was this trompe l’oeil mural of a garden fence and two secret doors, possibly of the theater that once stood there?  The things you find when you wander aimlessly.

Another Alice in Wonderland moment, (or two). Lovely!

thank you, katherine! so glad spring is on its way here.

Nice whimsical photos, thanks. Looking forward to seeing the art deco plaque from the funeral home! Wonder if you found any pottery?

Thanks, Michael – I’ll have to get a good photo of the art deco plaque, we’re still trying to figure out where to hang it (I think above our desk, which makes the most sense!). We weren’t looking for pottery this time, but right across the bridge in Newell, WV is Homer Laughlin China Co., home of Fiestaware. They have a ‘seconds’ room that we look through from time to time. Most of our kitchen cabinets were stocked through that place!

I really love the one of you “looking into” the door. I can’t wait to see your treasures from this little Sunday journey.

I think you will be especially excited about the one vintage found photo – it’s creepy and awesome!