Solstice
December 20, 2011, 6:49 AM
Filed under: Pennsylvania | Tags: , , , ,

For the first time in months, I don’t have anything planned. No photo projects, no editing, and honestly, it’s a nice feeling to have no obligations. I come home and read a book, dance with Jeff around the studio. I sit in the middle of my living room floor, scooping last bits of daylight. All year I’ve unconsciously kept busy, writing and taking photos, organizing my mother’s belongings, navigating through grief. Now it’s as if the world stopped and I finally noticed what was around me.  Or I stopped, and looked around, wondering, where have I been? I’m steeling myself for the long winter ahead, just shy of a year since my mother passed away. Everything has changed.

Hi Lisa, I admire your courage in writing so openly about the loss you’ve experienced this past year. The way you combine your writing and art is really powerful. These window photos seem to say so much more than words ever could.
I’m looking forward to where the new year takes you!

Comment by farmhouse stories

It’s a balance, to be personal, yet not *too* revealing in these posts – I want to connect with readers, not scare them away. Your blog support this year has meant a lot to me – thank you so much!

Thank-you for these photos which capture very well the period of grief and loneliness–very moving and beautifully done.

thank you for your kind comments and for reading too. it makes me see the universal process of grieving – it makes me feel less alone and maybe, in some way, i have helped others with my words.

Lovely!

aw, thanks, katherine – nice to read.

beautiful photos and thoughts! this is your “time out”; enjoy it!

Comment by Becky

thanks, becky!

It’s a nice feeling, wrapping up the end of the year with nothing new on your plate. New beginnings. (oh and I recognize those images) 😉

It is nice to wrap up the year, especially this one. I’m glad, though, that I’ve been documenting it in some ways because i feel as if I couldn’t remember some if I tried. Thanks for being such an incredible support this year. I’m lucky we’re friends!

looking at the images we took, i realize fate/kismet very much influenced our meeting. this has been a life changing year for sure.