Neville Island
November 6, 2011, 9:31 AM
Filed under: Pennsylvania | Tags: , , ,

Neville Island has always been something of a mystery to me. It’s the largest inhabited island in the Ohio River, and once a farmland hub for nearby cities. During World War II, it became a ship building center, with factories popping up at either end of it. Growing up, I remember “Poison Park,” a designated patch of unusable land that now has an ice skating rink. But the Island is more than its fabled industry. We still go roller skating at Neville Rollerdrome, which hasn’t changed its decor since the 70s. The houses along Front River Road are old, some dating back to the Civil-war era, with sprawling porches and giant green lawns. The old Neville school is for sale, and Jeff and I dreamed of ways to divide chunks of it to make into a living space. We stood facing the barges parked along the riverbank, listened for the whispering rustle of leaves.

Hi Lisa
Thanks for the links to the other Memento Mori sites. They were great and I will be going back to them again and again. I love the gorgeous retro look to some of your photos. Is it the “soft tone” film or the way you scan them? I have read the other comments and assume, now, it is the film, but is it only that? Do you process them yourself? Love it what ever!

Katherine – thanks for the photo comments! The Softtone film (which you can find through the Impossible Project site), comes out with this faded, washed color tone, so I didn’t have to do any processing in Photoshop. We have a decent Canon scanner, which captured the color quite accurately (normally I have to adjust color on some of my scans). I think too that expired film helps in giving that aged photo look.

I love these! Those lawn figures in the last photo are amazing.

Comment by Liz

thanks, lizard! i wish the photo had turned out better, but i wanted to document them anyhow.

The polaroids are a nice effect. That group of children — is that current or from the past?

The kid photo was taken yesterday. Two of the boys are my nephews. It was hard to round them all up for a picture, but after deciding that my old camera was ‘really cool,’ they caved and posed.

Wow, that photo really looks like it could have been from someone’s backyard in the 1980s.

that’s what i love about the softtone film – it transports you to another time (our childhood years!).