Photo Booth Sunday
September 18, 2011, 8:44 AM
Filed under: Vintage Photo Album | Tags: , ,

pre-1925 penny strip

I took a chance a few years ago at a flea market and bought a batch of vintage photographs for a few dollars. In that group, I found the postcard above, with tiny photo booth-like pictures of a woman, posing for someone. Her boyfriend or husband? Herself? I love her expression in the far right picture, how she is somewhat unsure of the camera. And in examining how she cut and arranged the photos on the card, this was most likely the last photo taken in the series.

The photo booth came into existence in 1925, but her hairstyle and dress looks earlier to me. So where was this photo taken? Barbara Levine’s Snapshot Chronicles: Inventing the American Photo Album provides a few clues. She says that tiny photos like these were taken and processed by studios or itinerant photographers and collaged into pocket-sized albums. The placement of the photos in the albums suggested short animated films.

I also found a picture among Jeff’s family photos, taken in the 1950s (he isn’t quite sure who it is) , and included one of my mother from the early 1970s. I could do a whole photo series on her many hairstyles, they were pretty amazing.

1950s

1970s

Old photos are so cool! It’s interesting what you’ve found out about the first photo – yes, her hair and attire really do look earlier than 1925. Such creative posts you do, and thanks for sharing these.

Comment by farmhouse stories

thanks, cait! it took me awhile to find out about the tiny first photos, but that book i mentioned in the post really helped me solve some mysteries.

I can definitely see the resemblance between Jeff and his mother. I love looking at your old photos. It reminds me that I should post a few of the old photos I just received from cousins I recently reconnected with.

Please post your old pictures – I love taking a peek into others’ lives through them!

will do. i have them sitting here waiting to scan. (i hope you dont think i am being a copycat if i post them.)

Not at all! Memoir is history, it’s part of who we are. Post them!

That is next on my list. Will probably start scanning this afternoon,