Color Story
August 16, 2011, 6:39 AM
Filed under: Art Gallery, West Virginia | Tags: , ,

This past Saturday I woke at six a.m. to take photos at the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum, a birthday gift from Jeff. I admit, I was nervous, thinking about ghosts lurking the hallways, but once I entered the building, I was so taken with light and color and stalactites of paint hanging in beautiful, unearthly formations that I didn’t feel afraid. I used my time there to also work on a project for Utata, featuring photos with one dominant color. Here’s a sneak peek into that project, as well as behind the asylum walls. I have a ton of photos to go through from this place that I’m excited to share, bear with me these next few posts.

These are amazing photos, Lisa. You’re so great at capturing the feeling of a place through your lens.

Comment by farmhouse stories

thank you again, cait! i am very happy when i hear that i can convey a sense of place through my photography. it’s what inspires me most to take photos – i see a space and then my brain starts turning and i think, i must photograph this.

so beautiful and sad…i love the chair piece so much! i will need a print of it, it breaks my heart and makes me feel inspired all at once…

Comment by roya

thanks so much, boo – i really felt more of a haunting feeling in this place rather than creepy, so i’m glad that the sad feeling i had translated through to this photo. and i wanted to get you a housewarming present, so i will send you a print!

wow! fantastic work. I can not believe all that furniture is still there.

thanks, kimmy! the chair photo was taken in the doctor’s apartments. there was an old art deco stove with salt and pepper shakers still in their slots on the stove’s clockface – i loved those details.