Blue Skies
April 10, 2011, 10:19 AM
Filed under: Vintage Photo Album | Tags: , ,

boardwalk

My mother loved to travel. I had forgotten this about her these past five years because she spent most of those years at home. In the early 1970s, she and her friends ventured weekends to Virginia Beach on standby flights. Gone are the days where you can just show up at the airport and wait at the ticket counter for an available seat,  but that’s what my mother did in her early 20s. She and my father married young and divorced young; there weren’t many vacations where my sister and I traveled with them as a family. Rummaging through her things, I find childhood icons of her past trips — a TWA make-up bag that I used as a tiny purse; a beach towel with “I heart Virginia;” her vinyl blue Jetliner suitcase with the mint-green lining which I now use to store photographs. Today is beautiful, unusually warm, a day I know my mother would have taken us  for a drive. I wondered where I got this itch to go somewhere else than where I am, but now I know.

blue car

virginia beach

storm

standby

in flight

Sigh. So nostalgic and beautiful.

thank you! i am soon going to do a post of photos that have something of an ‘art’ feel to them – ones that my mother took. i love that she had something of an artist’s eye, even if she did not realize it.

Great photos; they really capture a sense of life in the 70s. Little time capsules.

Comment by thevintagetraveler

Thanks, Lizzie! I like how you described them as little time capsules. Definitely.

I wish travel was as care free now as it was back in the day. If it were, we’d be hopping on a plane to head to the Jersey shore, Vegas or Canada for a weekend getaway!

Comment by jschreckengost

Or finding the perfect flea market!

I’m sure it is comforting to discover these treasures and write. Hugs to you babe! Kristy too! You are in my thoughts always. I love your mummy’s shorts! She has nice LONG legs….lucky girl!
R.I.P.

Comment by Rachel

thanks for writing, rach (now i’m going to cry). it is comforting to write. i’m sending you hugs –

What treasures you’re finding. I love these old photos! It’s great how you’re seeing your mother in yourself – and that you’re getting some warmer weather finally.

Comment by Cait

Cait – they are treasures. It makes the pain a little easier to bear to discover something new each time I go through a box of photos. I’m so glad she saved them.

Those shorts! I love them and could never ever wear them. She was quite the fashionable lady. I see where you get it.

What a great post.

Comment by Liz

Her dresses! I wish she had kept them (although they would never fit me now). I thought the same thing about her shorts, but I’d never be able to wear them now.

Beautiful post. I love your words/pics. I am getting such a sense of the person your mom was and of her desire to be. I wish I had this sense of my own mother. These photos are incredible.

Comment by isaacrullo

I am getting to know her through her letters and her photos. I knew things about her, but this is a part of her I had forgotten. Or am just discovering. It’s a pretty amazing journey, but I feel as if I’m still filling in the parts of her story. So is it her story or mine? You’ve been such a support to me, you have no idea – thank you!