The House I Call Home
January 9, 2011, 8:18 AM
Filed under: Art Gallery | Tags: , , ,

dark and light

I don’t know if I ever explained our living quarters, but we live in what was a shoe store – or, according to our neighbors, a candy store. The front part of the building is where I curate monthly window installations and Jeff’s studio, and we live in the back. It’s an open floor plan, so we have become pretty creative with how we use our space. Behind a Chinese screen in our kitchen is our bedroom, which I call the fortress because the bed is against the wall, but cozy with piles of pillows and blankets and shelves of books towering over us. The photos I took in this series were in our dining room. The buffet that I’m sitting on is also Jeff’s dresser. I love the exposed cement walls, layers of paint peeling years of history.

lulu

Hi Lisa,

found your work at jpg mag and have to say I’m too much impressed. You are a very gifted artist.

I truly like this series. I truly like art when it comes to document peoples lifes and people’s mysteries. I’m convinced you are doing both.

Best for you.

Daniel.

Comment by Daniel Iván

Daniel, Your comment is a nice surprise and so kind. I’m happy to see that my personal blog is reaching out to people in some way. Thank you for reading and checking out my work!

I love homes in places that weren’t meant to be homes. Please, please show us more!

Comment by thevintagetraveler

As winter rolls on and we can’t go on road trips as much, I find it hard to scramble for posts. So I think I will give a virtual tour of my home some time soon!

I love the way you’ve included your presence (and Lulu’s) in the photos, bringing the rooms to life and adding three-dimensional warmth and vitality.

BTW, I had read your piece and went to do other things while I thought about how to respond, and then experienced a strange deja vu as the rss feed for the Utata front page came in… so wow, congrats on the Front Page, too!

Comment by eyegillian

A lot of what I explore in my work is how form functions in space, or how the animate becomes inanimate when there aren’t typically identifying features in that space. It’s more challenging when that space is something I see every day (like my tiny patch of dining room). Winter makes me creative!
And thank you for the congratulations! It was so nice to see that yesterday morning.

Oh yeah, and LuLu and you on the buffet is a cool pic! Love It!

Comment by Allegheny Eats

I imagine that Al Bundy worked in your building when it was a shoe store.

Comment by Allegheny Eats

Laura, the owner, after reading this post, gave me more about the history of the building. Stay tuned this week!

Yes, a wonderful house! I like the layers of peeling paint, too, like layers of wallpaper from generations past. Lulu seems quite content to be a part of it all!

Comment by Cait

Lulu was an excellent and unexpected model. She jumped right up there and I thought she worked well with the crumbling walls.

What an amazing house! I would love to see it sometime.

Comment by moth

Thank you! I’d love for you to come by and see it. If you’re in Pittsburgh this summer, we’ll have to make plans.