Scary Santa
December 21, 2010, 7:11 AM
Filed under: Vintage Photo Album | Tags: ,

1978

As a kid I was at turns excited for Santa to come climbing down my chimney and terrified I would actually see the poor bastard standing in my living room. Now that I think about it, our fireplace was closed-off, so that posed the logistics of his arrival, leaving only the front door for him to walk though. With the increase of child abductions in the early ’80s, seeing Santa walk through that door wasn’t going to happen. This photo makes me laugh because it sums up well how I feel about the holidays, and it’s one of my favorite pictures of my baby sister, who today isn’t afraid of anything.

This photo is hilarious! It’s reminded me of my only (as far as I know) trip to visit Santa at a big department store uptown; I remember the way my mom made us wear our best clothes and how uncomfortable it felt to sit on a strange man’s lap. Definitely a strange tradition!

Comment by eyegillian

It totally is a strange tradition, but it’s also nice to see kids still hoping for Santa on Christmas morning (better than waiting for Krampus!).

Super! I wish I had a photo like that of my sister!

Comment by thevintagetraveler

thanks! she was such a funny kid, so full of personality. I especially love the look on santa’s face. he had a pretty good sense of humor about it.

Aw, great photo of scary Santa! I remember these moments as scary, too, though I have no wonderful documentation like this. Santa is really managing to stay composed. Thanks for sharing your memories!

Comment by Cait

The Easter Bunny is possibly more terrifying than Santa! I love digging through old family photos.

I love this pic. I love how santa is looking off to his elves for help and all he see is me and my cats disco dancing. hehe.

Comment by Allegheny Eats

Make the video your xmas card.

Lots of laughs. That’s me!

Comment by Kristy Pulford

I was going to make this our Christmas card. I also think that gingham blue dress that you’re wearing in the photo was mine.