Breezewood
November 23, 2010, 8:11 PM
Filed under: Pennsylvania | Tags: , , ,

the beauty of early darkness

I have mixed feelings about daylight savings. After the holiday season, it’s a little depressing to wake in darkness, then go to work, only to go home when it’s dark. But from now until New Year’s, there is something comforting about the darkness, especially while  driving down rural highways where the deep blue fields only intensify the warm lights coming from gas stations and people’s homes. I often take photos from inside the car because I want to catch the moment that I’m afraid to forget. It’s not only the image that affects me, it’s the cold blast of air hitting my face as I hang out of the car window, or seeing a house with people standing inside their living rooms, getting up from chairs to go to their kitchens, or to answer a phone. I’m curious. And when I can’t find the answers, I make my own.

barn. photo by jeff.

descending into breezewood

highway oasis

The beauty of early darkness… with a few photos and one perfect paragraph, you have captured that tension between in/out, light/dark, outside looking in, longing/belonging… exquisite.

Comment by eyegillian

this makes me happy to read – and makes me want to go back to those moments on the road. now it’s time to settle in for the long, dark winter.

i always loved catching a glimpse inside someones house. lights on, dinner served, kids playing, KDKA news watching, loneliness… there is something hauntingly beautiful and eerie about driving down a quiet road of unassuming homes while you catch a glimpse of some old lady watching wheel of fortune while eating her dinner on a tv tray. when i was younger, i would spend the rest of the car ride concocting her “situation.” grandson off to war, husband in the bathroom, pat and alex provide solice in her dinner hour….

Comment by kim rullo

It’s nice to hear that other people do this too – make up stories while on the road. It’s half the reason I love going on road trips. I love to daydream.

I have such a mixed relationship with the end of daylight savings. you pretty much summed up that mix. i hate the shortened days – but i love those moments of warmth you catch in the night.
An old college friend of mine does a project up in vermont where they treat sheds as lanterns. the images are stunning – glowing structures in the middle of the barren night landscape. I’ll try to point you to them.

Comment by sarah

Sarah – I’d love to see those ‘lantern’ photos, they sound gorgeous. It would be even better to see one in person. If Jeff and I were driving along a rural road at night in Vermont and I saw one, I’d be so excited! Thank you for sharing this.

here’s a link to the blog
there are some images there
whoops..it’s in massachusetts, not vt

Comment by sarah

Thank you so much for sharing this – I love the idea. I’d love to see this in winter, fields covered in snow.

that does sound really beautiful sarah. i would love to see them as well.

Comment by kim rullo