Behind Glass: Sarah Wojdylak
April 1, 2010, 7:18 PM
Filed under: Art Gallery | Tags: , , ,

Each month Jeff and I feature the artwork of a local artist in our studio windows. This month Sarah Wojdylak is showing her terrarium installation for the Unblurred event, in conjunction with this  year’s GA/GI Festival.

morning

I’ve been obsessed all week, taking pictures of the jars suspended from the ceiling of the window front. I love how the light hits them at different times of the day, the way they look as if they are floating in space. Some of them have tiny lights in the centers, so when it grows dark, they look like fireflies caught under glass.

afternoon

Sarah spent months collecting jars, crocheting shaggy yarn to look like moss, and rolling pocket lint into tiny balls to make ‘dirt.’ She even made the tiny chairs inside of the jars by hand. They contain real moss and seeds, save for one. Stop by Unblurred on April 2 and see if you can find it.

evening

night

Wow, I’m so behind, I just discovered her site and saw her work at Unblurred! Great photos by the way.

-Mundania

Comment by reconstructingideas

Mundania – thanks! The window looks awesome, I wish I could leave it like that all year around. The little jars are sprouting now and the artist has some new ones she’s making with beans sprouting inside of them.

update: the beans look like sprouting aliens. i’m not sure i can deal with how horrifying they are

Comment by swojdylak

pictures!

Dude, I love these pics. I love the one with Penn Ave. houses in the background. I also love the one with Monster’s reflection…spooky; he looks like an omniscient apperiction overseeing all his little worlds.

Comment by Bill

thanks, dude!

I want a room of these. Take more jars. and bring them back filled with tiny things.

Comment by lizbot

How about a sea theme for your puffer fish?

[…] This April, my “chairrareum” window installation is part of the Unblurred event during the Geek Arts/Green Innovators (GA/GI) festival.  Lisa Tobos was fantastic enough to take these amazing photos and wrote about her obsession with them. […]

Pingback by Behind Glass « s. wojdylak

I want snow ones for winter. I want jars filled with mirrors in place of ponds, tiny frogs jumping inside of them. I also want that pony.

I think i’ll make some snow ones during summer, when snow isn’t such a disgusting thing.

Mirrors as ponds with frogs! Great idea! Man, there’s so much potential to put in these.

I can only make a tiny pony inside of a jar, not a real pony.

Comment by swojdylak

wojo these are awesome!

Comment by Bill

thanks bill!!!

Comment by swojdylak

Side note: The ‘other related blog posts’ generated in my post are about Sarah Palin, which I think is totally hilarious. Oh, the power of tags!