The Mystery of Circus Town
March 9, 2010, 8:25 PM
Filed under: Pennsylvania | Tags: , , , ,

What was Circus Town? A coworker of Jeff’s said this abandoned theme park once housed a petting zoo and carnival rides. I didn’t realize until later that the photos I had taken this past Saturday in Butler County were all circus-related: Humpty Dumpty towering over the Country Kitchen on Route 8; a closed hot dog shop in Butler; and even the Book Nook sign is like a striped circus tent. The 4 o’clock sun cast long shadows across the Circus Town road entrance like fun house mirror images. My photo narrative is becoming more intuitive.

entrance to Circus Town

Humpty Dumpty watching over Route 8

Book Nook

The Hot Dog Shop

4:00 shadow

house skeleton on the Circus Town property

no longer served

final act

Sorry! harrybrake@yahoo.com

Comment by harrybrake

Hello! My name is Harry Brake and I am originally from Butler, but am interested in possibly creating a story based on the area there. I would like to see if you had some pictures of the school house and also want to retrieve any old pictures of Circus Town if you know of connections. I would like to obtain stories, pics, anything people might have on this. I am in Mexico currently and work at ASF, American School Foundation, as a Library Assistant! Thanks so much!

Comment by harrybrake

[…] some from the last snow storm in February, this color roll from a trip we took  in March to find Circus Town. Finding these negatives is like revisiting that moment all over again, even though it was just an […]

Pingback by When the World Stops « The Long Way Home

I like 4 o’clock shadow and house skeleton the bestest, but all of them are great 🙂

Comment by Becky

Thanks, Beck! I should get shadow pictures of the kids, they’d love it.

how have i never heard of this?! i’ve been around rt 8/ rt 422 a zillion times

Comment by swojdylak

no kidding. when jeff told me about this i was like, how did we miss this all these years?

I like the final act

Comment by Bill

the two of you look pretty awesome in silhouette.