I Was a Child Actor: Kirsten Ervin
July 6, 2012, 7:44 AM
Filed under: Art Gallery | Tags: , , ,

This month’s Unblurred features I Was a Child Actor – striking acrylic on wood self-portraits by Kirsten Ervin. kirstenervin@hotmail.com

Artist statement:

“I was immersed in theater programs as a kid. When I was 12 years old, a talent agent from New York City “discovered” me after seeing me in a play and signed me. This artwork is based on head shots my mother took of me. Though I went on auditions, I never got any work. I was probably the least commercial looking kind around. I looked like a miniature Janis Joplin and my nickname in Junior High School was Wednesday. These photos are my mother’s attempts at making me look more normal. Note the enormous adult-sized glasses. I think my mom was way more into the agent thing than me.”

About these ads

these are so weird and great!

Comment by naimavanswol

thanks! i’ll be sure to pass along to the artist too – they are some of my favorites from this year’s window series that we curate each month.

ya, thanks. were is this exactly. is it in Pittsburgh? i started to follow the link and then i got distracted. ADD what can i say…?

Comment by naimavanswol

ha ha! i know, the Unblurred events page can be a little unclear sometimes :). The paintings are hanging at Studio 5013, part of a window installation series I curate with my husband for First Fridays on Penn Avenue in Garfield/Friendship.

These are awesome. I love how the portraits are framed in a circle.

Comment by Allegheny Eats

come out and see them in person – they are round wooden portraits (‘framed’ for internet).

these are great – i love the one with the glasses.

i love them all!