Snijeg
December 8, 2010, 7:04 AM
Filed under: Pennsylvania | Tags: , , , ,

landscape

Snijeg is “snow” in  Croatian, and Sunday morning reminded me of Osijek, how frustrating and beautiful and unexpected each day was when I was there. I spent most of the winter  in a perpetual state of freeze. My apartment didn’t have central heat, only a large space heater from the 1960s that looked like two thin sheets of metal slapped together. I’d switch it on first thing in the morning, the red coils glowing as  I got ready for work. Sometimes I’d turn on the oven and open the door to warm my hands. You really do get used to wearing sweaters and mittens to bed, drinking mulled wine to calm your nerves.  This past Sunday, my tripod went missing, so I rigged a make-shift one in our backyard out of a wooden chair, two old books and a scarf to protect the camera. My eyes watered from the wind, so it was hard to focus, and my hands ached from cold. I thought, why the hell am I doing this, just as I had asked myself six years ago in Osijek. And it’s because I can’t imagine doing anything else at that moment.

bloom

first snow

'portal to spring.' unfinished painting by jeff schreckengost

About these ads

Your images are wonderful! I love the painting, too. It’s always inspiring to stop here.

Comment by Cait

Cait, Such a nice comment to find this morning, thank you! Love your blog as well, it’s like curling up with a good book.

Kim- you should come look at the painting. I ‘ve been thinking about doing something else to it, but alot of folks like it how it is!

Comment by jeff

jeffs painting looks like a magic mirror from an old fairy tale. i love it. i may want to buy it.

Comment by kim rullo

Isn’t it beautiful? I’m in love with that painting, it’s so different from what he normally does. Talk with him about it, I’m sure he’d be thrilled to sell!

These are beautiful as is the text :)

Comment by shallowmallow

thank you so much (and good morning! – at least here it is morning now).