July 29, 2010, 8:07 PM
Filed under: Florida | Tags: , , , , ,

My mother wanted us to bring back seashells for her from Florida, but I didn’t have the heart to tell her we were over 100 miles from a beach. I’m not a beachy kind of girl anyhow – give me a stark, wintery New England beach in December any day over a place where I risk getting baked to a crisp.

Lucky for us, there are Orange Souvenir Centers everywhere in central Florida – even one shaped liked the giant fruit so representative of the Sunshine State. It’s this compulsion of mine when we’re on the road anywhere that we must take a break at a truck stop to watch all the strange people passing through; and I have to stop at kitschy souvenir shops to see if painted plates and snow globes are still hot business (they are).

We settled for the alligator head instead — it’s more our style.

floridian gems

star motel

the 13-foot gator has seen better days

deathwish kitty of Micanopy

We bought one of these, but I'm sure that doesn't surprise you.

I love all of these! I don’t know how you do it, but capturing the essence of a moment or object seems to be your speciality; you ROCK!!!

Comment by Becky

thank you – you’re always so sweet and supportive and I appreciate it!! hugs —

also, I like Dolly, did you buy her?

Comment by Allegheny Eats

Deathwish Kitty might be from Rocky and Bill Jr’s litter.

Comment by Allegheny Eats

That’s why we took a picture of deathwish kitty – we were like, oh my god, it’s bill-kitties’ long long sister!

We didn’t buy dolly. She looked too good sitting in that window. Plus we were running out of money….

Next time we’re getting a GIANT gator head- maybe while eating gator nuggets.
Cocomonkeys are kind of intimidating and look like they could be a cult group.
I hope the kitty is OK and has found a better spot to sleep that’s not in the center of an intersection.

Comment by jeff

that’s what we were missing from this trip – a real live gator! or a tasty one.