Two by Two

I keep my vintage photos stacked neatly in a small black trunk that was the money box at our Halloween wedding. I am going through the process of arranging them in some kind of order. I shuffled through and made connections to see what I have been drawn to in saving and collecting: portraits, mainly women; clothing, because I’m obsessed with vintage;  black and white candids, because it’s so strange to see how photography evolved from the studio out into the world.

The following are portraits I’ve found at flea markets, antique stores, yard sales and our own family archives.

a girl and her best friend, 1950s

my grandmother (1) and great aunt anne, 1930s

victorian sisters

edwardian twins

one eye, two eyes, three eyes by jeff schreckengost

victorian brothers

tintype sisters

daughter and mother? niece and aunt? sisters? 1920s

norwegian couple in north dakota

found in the pages of a scrapbook

bathing beauties, 1920s

jeff and sue in the g.c. murphy's photobooth, 1980s

About these ads

Well it’s hard to keep the black and whites running. Colour makes it even harder. We had one in Berlin. I am not sure if they still running it.

Comment by Photoautomat

This where the 80′. Love to have a colour booth around.

Comment by Photoautomat

I know, the GC Murphy’s is gone. The new ‘color’ booths are some kind of shitty sticker booth with borders around the pictures.
Sadness!

Jeff in the photobooth could be 2010, too. :-)

Comment by Bill

I love that photo because it shows he still has the same goofy-fun nature since he was younger.

Jeff circa 1980 is hilarious! You should post more vintage Jeff.

I love the victorian brothers. Look at how regal that little ruffled toddler looks

Comment by swojdylak

So funny – Jeff just remarked on the ruffled little toddler boy this morning. And I am trying to get more 1980s Jeff photos – he won’t even show me his high school pictures!